Ultimate Wedding Contest: Too Sweet

We got the following comment on one of our posts today. I have been really good about ignoring such comments lately, but this one sent me over the edge for some reason. And my reason is below the quote!

"I think voting has slowed because people are finding the other couple more compelling. Personally I find the gay couple too sugary sweet and a bit annoying... I'm getting sick of looking at them. Plus there's [sic] story is not that interesting. I voted for a different couple."

OK let's break this down... "I think voting has slowed because people are finding other couples more compelling..." I am fine with that, there are lots of people with some great stories in this contest. There are lots of couples with compelling stories. I am amazed at the power of love when I read these stories, and they all pull at my heartstrings. This is what the idea of the contest is, its about the story of love. I hope that our story is compelling, but if it is not the most compelling for you, then please do vote for another couple.

"...Personally I find the gay couple too sugary sweet and a bit annoying... I'm getting sick of looking at them..." Well, first off I am very sorry that you are tired of looking at us, I think we are pretty darn cute, but you don't have to enjoy looking at us, that's fine. But seriously we are too sugary sweet. This is a contest about love and winning the Ultimate Wedding. I am pretty sure that when Crate and Barrel created this contest they were looking for people who were in love, not people who hated one another. I am sure some drama would be entertaining but Greg and I truly love one another, we have been by each others sides through some difficult times, and we are looking forward to many many years together no matter what.

Are we perfect? Of course not but we work through all of that, and we are incredibly happy right now. Not only are we in second place and numerous people have voted for us but we have also applied for our marriage license (featured in the New York Times) and our community has rallied around us, supported us, and said some amazingly nice things about us. I know I should and mostly do focus on that but this one comment has gotten under my skin.

Finally, "... Plus there's [sic] story is not that interesting..." Well I am sorry that you feel our love story isn't that interesting. No neither of us are sick at the moment, but we have overcome tremendous obstacles. I never really featured the hate crime in my story because I wanted to focus on the strength of the love that we had. I had 100 words and I wanted them to be about love, not about hate. But our love has overcome this hate and we have done it together, we have done it with the support of the community, and we will continue to do it. I hope that I will never again be bleeding on the street as a man stomps my head into the pavement screaming "die faggot die." But unfortunately I can't promise that this won't happen to me or any other person who is looked at as different.

What I can do however is stand up an openly share my story, I can become a public figure and I can speak out. This contest has given us the opportunity to talk about the hatred I have faced, and talk about getting married. It is not a political contest but it gives us all another venue to make a statement.

I applaud all of the couples who have entered this contest, they all have great compelling stories. Please support them and vote for them, and share the stories. It shows that love is alive in this country and that love can overcome many obstacles. I hope that you find our story compelling, and I hope this post isn't too sugary sweet. If you do find our story compelling please share this post and vote at

http://www.ultimateweddingcontest.com/entries/22682

No comments: