How Do You Not Know The Kindle... and now The Nook!

I was absolutely amazed today, and I realize that maybe I live in a different world, but I could have never imagined that the kids that work for me have never heard of things like an e-reader!

Barnes and Noble launched their new e-reader the Nook yesterday, in the book selling world this is big news since the most popular one, the kindle, is an amazon product, the nook is Barnes and Noble, it will be available to purchase in stores, and online. And Wired magazine, says "If you just ordered a kindle, stop reading now, or you're in for a giant dose of buyer's remorse."

Great, new technology, I am a technology whore, I like fancy new shiny things! I know I am generally on the leading edge when it comes to knowing about these things, but I thought by now people knew what e-readers were. I was blown away when I started talking about it with people who work in a bookstore, and they had no idea what the Kindle was. I had to explain the technology from the beginning. I had to tell them about what size it was, and why it was a big step.

THEY HAD NO IDEA!

I continued searching around the store for people I thought would know, I was wrong. Most of the employees students or otherwise had no idea. So after explaining the Kindle I had to take the next step and tell them about the nook.

The nook runs Google's Android OS and is going to have wireless access through AT&T, the nook has built in Wi-Fi and 2GB of storage allowing you to hold up to 1500 books. Plus you will be able to get you newspapers and magazines, and you will even be able to share books with friends. These are a ton of great features that could kill the Kindle, but not that it matters because according to my employees

"It's only like 12 people have a Kindle anyway!"

I am really living in a different world, it is crazy, but I am pretty sure that the Kindle people are a little worried about the Nook, maybe because they will lose those 15 customers, or maybe because the e-reader is the wave of the future, and like the i-phone, whatever device comes out strong and works well could make it a category killer!

Not that my employees would know any of this, I think I need new employees, please look for future posts that reference me firing stupid people!

No comments: