New Things

So I have not posted in a long time because I am trying to get adjusted to my new schedule, it hasn't been that hard and the hours are much better. The hardest thing that I have needed to get used to is riding the train to work every morning and home at night. It is hard to get used to because as I like to put it the "dregs of humanity" tend to ride the train line I have to ride into work. My first morning the T man yelled at me because I didn't know how to use their new technology that to me makes no sense. Apparently you can't put your monthly pass on the plastic card at the station i get on at. Whatever! So, once I get on the train I run into the spitting man, yes he stands at the door and spits on the floor over and over again. I have also run into "talk on your cellphone even though your signal gives out" and a few sleepers. The four train rides are very interesting everyday but at least the commute only takes 30-40 minutes not the 50-60 minutes I expected it to take. I have also gotten much more reading done as well, I can recommend Confessions of an Economic Hit Man- thanks for that recommendation K.

Today started week 2 at the new job and the train ride wasn't that bad- but today I realized the difference between a huge store like my previous store and a normal size store like my current store. This morning we had three people call out and one person "no show/ no call." Now in every store that's a bad day, but in a normal store that is half of your staff for the day. At my old store we would be a little light on staff for the day, today at the new store all the managers were ringing on registers. Today is the day I officially became the bad cop, I don't have a problem being the bad cop but I was hoping to get to know people before I became the bad cop but these people needed to be written up and I was more then willing to do it because these people made my Monday not so much fun.

Let me tell you the new customers at my store are also going to yield some interesting stories, as I get to know them better I will pass them along.

Finally, my company which I have never mentioned by name (and I won't) has instituted a new blogging policy. Technically as a manager I am not supposed to blog (I still will) and if I do blog I must make sure to not use names and not discuss anybody who does not wish to be discussed. I am also not supposed to reveal any information about the company (again I won't do that). And I am also supposed to include the following statement:

The opinions in this blog do not reflect the opinions of (unnamed company)... etc etc etc.

Now I am off to my bookshelf to see what I should read next!

1 comment:

kaitable. said...

oh yes, the new blogging policy. L talked to me about it but assured me that I haven't been doing anything wrong. I was wondering what your take on it would be.