Hondas and Waiters

I am sitting here in the Honda dealership, waiting on my car to be fixed. It has been a very expensive first few month for me and I can't wait to get my tax return so I have a little bit of a security blanket in the bank. I am actually a bit upset because I left my book in my car, which is back in the shop but luckily this very nice dealership/ repair shop has computers set up so I can get online while I wait for my car to be fixed.

So, I took this opportunity to get caught up on my blog reading, including K's blog (www.kaitable.blogspot.com) and my new favorite (www.waiterrant.net). Working in the service/ retail industry I identify with the people the Waiter comes in contact with everyday and I empathize with the struggles he has with customers or patrons.

It is somehow comforting to see that you are not the only person that deals with the crazy people in the public. There are so many times when you are working with customers that you feel abandoned and alone. You know in your head that this is just a passing customer who feels you are incompetent but it is very disconcerting when you have a few bad ones a day and they all think you are an idiot because there is no way you can provide them with the item/service/refund/golden ticket that they want.

This is why I read K's blog and I laugh because I was at that store and I know the crazies that come in and this is why I read Waiter's blog and sit there and say "Hey, I think I know that guy!" I probably don't but I know that type of guy or girl. I know the spoiled children, I know the demanding customers, I understand how customers have a sense of self entitlement.

When you work in the service business dealing with the public you see all sorts of things, but at least when you read about others experiences you know that you are not alone. You can identify and you feel like you are part of a community that understands what you are going through each and every day.

It's fun, we love it, I don't want to be doing anything else, I guess I am a bit of a masochist but it is good to know there are others like me out there and while we are a bit crazy at least we are not as crazy as the people we help every day.

I am going to add Waiter-Rant to my links and I encourage you to check it out, it is very funny. Oh, and to tie things together, in a matter of months I am going to be selling his book so keep your eyes open for that.

Here's to dealing with the public... at least we will always have stories to tell!

No comments: