9 Pages Left

I have been reading Strange Pilgrims, stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This collection of stories have been very entertaining, however, I am a very big GGM fan ever since I spent a semester in college reading One Hundred Years of Solitude (in Spanish). I have also read Chronicle of a Death Foretold (in English and Spanish) and Love in the Time of Cholera. Strange Pilgrims included a few fantastically written short stories that reflect the true magical realism style of GGM, some of the best stories were Bon Voyage, Mr. President, I Sell My Dreams, I Only Came to Use the Phone, Maria dos Prazeres, and The Trail of Your Blood in the Snow. All of these stories follow Latin Americans in Europe and they all convey a sense of melancholy as they try to fit in to a culture that is not there own.

The problem was that after reading a few pages at lunch I noticed that I only had nine pages of the last story left to read and I had a thirty minute train ride home. Uh oh, what was I supposed to do when I finished my book on the train. I have about 8 books left on my shelf at home from my shopping spree back in December so I don't want to buy another book at the store, but I also don't want to run out of reading material on the train, then I would have to look at the wackos around me on the train, (like the two guys sharing the 40 last night). So I read slowly but I was still finished reading by the Back Bay stop, with a few stops still ahead of me. I was slightly distraught. But I did finish and I enjoyed the book, and I learned a very important lesson. Even though I am a slow reader as I approach the end of a book I need to make sure I have a backup in my bag just in case I have the unfortunate occurance of finishing with part of the ride remaining.

Now, what book should I start tomorrow, I want to read a piece of non-fiction since I have been mixing up the fiction and non-fiction, I have narrowed it down to:

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Salt by Mark Kurlansky
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

I have wanted to read all three of these books for quite some time I am going to have to think about it.

No comments: