Holy Mashed Potatoes

Saturday night, Valentines Day, we had a reservation here in DC at Capital Grille. Thank goodness we had a late reservation because the Doctor was taking a review course for his exam that didn't allow him to get home until after 8pm. We changed and hopped in the car where we got in a disagreement with the GPS, then we had to return home to get the gift cards, and then finally we were on our way to the restaurant.

When we arrived there was a huge line of cars at the valet but the moved them quickly and amazingly there was no charge. We walked in checked our coats and within two minutes they had us at our seats. It is a very pretty restaurant and everybody had a smile on their faces and seemed to be having a great time (that's always a sign of great service.) The hostess presented us with our menus and the waiter (who became practically a friend) was over in a few minutes to help us decide on drinks meals and appetizers.

After a little while the doctor decided on a salad and steak in some fungus (as in mushrooms) and I decided on the mozzarella tomato and basil salad and the 14oz fillet Mignon. We also decided to split a side of mashed potatoes (because I love my carbs). The waiter was very attentive and filled our glasses of wine regularly, the salads and bread came promptly and were delectable.
When the entree arrived I was already starting to feel the effects of a food coma, but I needed to eat because it just looked so damn good. I cut into my fillet and it was like cutting into melted butter. I was amazing and I probably could have died right there and been happy (yes, I stole that from Jacques Pepin's comment on this weeks Top Chef) and then i had a fork full of the mashed potatoes...

Oh my god, I could not believe what I was tasting, I am not a huge foodie but I do love my white carbs and up until now my grandmothers mashed potatoes were by far the best in the world. I am sorry Bella but these were amazing, just pure perfect mashed potatoes no extra stuff getting in the way and they were amazing.

I wasn't sure how I did it but I finished a majority of my steak, as did the doctor, and we cleaned the plate of mashed potatoes. And there was no way we were going to pass up dessert. The waiter kindly helped us decide on a champagne to accompany our dessert and recommended the coconut cream pie as the perfect dessert to share with this champagne. He was right again and we enjoyed every bite and sip we could fit into our bodies.

Pleasantly plump after this meal and loving the ambiance of the restaurant we were both presented with a single red rose and a box of chocolate (possibly to soften the blow of the bill we were just presented) or maybe because the waiter was actually excellent at what he does. We paid and left completely and utterly satisfied. This was one of the best meals we have ever had.

And damn those mashed potatoes were good!

No comments: