Day 2- The day after the Black

So yesterday was Black Friday and it was pretty slow in the store, but we did have some fun customers. More then one customer however asked me why it was called Black Friday. The general (and wrong) consensus from my booksellers was that because it was so busy it was miserable for the employees. However, in business black is good, here is the real definition:

Definition: What is Black Friday? The day after Thanksgiving in the United States, is frequently referred to as Black Friday.

General Use: One of the major U.S. holiday shopping days. The day many U.S. consumers begin Christmas shopping. The day is heavily promoted by retailers.

Origin: The origin of Black Friday comes from the shift to profitability during the holiday season. Black Friday was when retailers went from being unprofitable, or "in the red," to being profitable, or "in the black", at a time when accounting records were kept by hand and red indicated loss and black profit.

Source: http://retailindustry.about.com/od/abouttheretailindustry/g/black_friday.htm

See, black Friday is a good thing. I wish more people came in and shopped in my store.

Now today, I wish one customer and her child wasn't shopping in my store. As usual, I am a little light on staff and I moved my booksellers to the lower floors and covered the least busy floor myself while doing some work in my office. I walked out every fifteen or so minutes and would help a customer every once in a while if they were there. When I walked out around noon a woman and her son were shopping in the science section and I approached to see if they needed help. She did need some help and I brought them back to the desk to look up some books. Meanwhile, her son is standing behind her "Blowing raspberries" you know sticking his tongue out and blowing spit all over my display tables. Half expecting the mother to tell her son to stop spitting on my books I continue to look up what she is looking for but she ignores him and I turn to her and politely ask her is she notices that the little boy is "blowing raspberries" on that table of books. Now get this, her response "Oh yeah, he does that!" Well Miss, I would appreciate it if he would stop as that could cause damage to these books (plus it is really gross). She seems to ignore this statement and the kid continues to slobber on my books.

Seriously, what kind of a response is "Oh, yeah he does that!" I don't blame this child, he is just being a kid but seriously the parent need to discipline him and show him the appropriate way to behave in public. All my parents ever had to do if I started to misbehave in public was give me "that look." I knew I was about to do something they didn't approve of and I would stop. I know how to behave in public because whenever I do something I think, "would my parents approve of this?" This child will have none of that, I can't wait, in five years his mom is going to be looking for books and he is going to be standing behind her taking a piss on a pile of art books and when I point it out to the mother she is going to say "Oh, yeah he does that!!" At which point I will have him arrested and when the mother protests I guess I will have to say "Oh well, I do that to pain in the ass kids who don't behave!"

BY THE WAY HERE IS THE "HEY SANTA COUNT"
Friday- 3 times
Saturday- 2 times

No comments: