Day 4- Cell Phones

I am addicted to my cell phone and I know sometimes you forget to turn it off and it rings at inappropriate times. Ok, I forgive you for that. I understand that nowadays many people only have a cell, and you need to be talking on it or else you feel you life will end. I hate when I forget my cell at home. Here is the problem, it is not appropriate for you to be carrying on a private conversation on your cell phone while you are asking me for help finding a book or while you are being rung up at the register. It is just really rude.

I am there to help you, as a customer, find a book and get you all the information you are looking for, and then ring you up for your purchases as quickly and politely as possible. I deserve a little respect in return. Therefore, if you need to take a phone call please step out of line and let the people who are clearly less important than you because they don't need to be attached to their phone go ahead.

If you walk up to me while carrying on a conversation please note that I will deliver the best customer service ever, all with a smile on my face, even if you hold up that finger and expect me to wait a minute to ask you all of the questions I am required to ask. Here is generally how a transaction will go if you have your cell attached to your ear:

Customer: Oh, My god you will never guess what happened to me last night (customer throws a copy of people magazine at me while I am ringing)

Me: Hi, how are you today, did you find everything you were looking for today

Customer: (holding up that "wait a minute finger" I am in the middle of a very important conversation) Yeah, I was like so drunk but can you believe he said that to me.

Me: (Ignoring the finger) Your total is $3.99 would you like a bag for your magazine today or do you just want to put it in the bag that you have right there? How would you like to pay for this?

Customer: (throwing five dollar bill in my general direction) Yeah, and then I like threw my drink in his face and like stormed out because I was soooooooooooo mad!

Me: (raising my voice slightly) Ok, out of five, well your change is $1.01 but I am out of singles right now so I can give you for quarters and a penny is that ok.

Customer: (nodding) Yeah, and then the like guy at the door came after me cause like he said I didn't pay my tab. Can you believe that I gave him money.

Me: Here is your change and your magazine. Is there anything else I can help you with tonight? (Not releasing the bag quite yet)

Customer: (getting annoyed at me and shaking head) Yeah, but whatever, we are back together again cause I love him so much!

Me: (as customer walks away) Well, thank you very much and have a great day!

Just in case you couldn't tell, this drive me nuts! Please don't do it, it is so rude and it drives us all nuts.

Gotta go my cell is ringing! See I am stepping away and not involving you in my conversation.

No comments: